Crown Cemetery Puslinch is located north of Morriston at Brock Road and 401 Highway.
We are a non profit cemetery operated by a volunteer board of managers and a secretary-treasure and we welcome all Faiths for burials. 

To contact us call Darlene Harrietha at (519) 822-0874

History of Crown Cemetery Puslinch

In response to a petition of the Presbyterians of Puslinch to the Crown Lands Department, Toronto in 1837, lot 28 Concession 8, was granted to certain trustees and their heirs and assigned forever to be used for a burying ground. In this way the early desire of the first settlers to bury their dead in a place set apart was met. The early years marked a growth in size of the cemetery, but there was little organized effort directed to its upkeep, there was no charge, people chose their own plots and buried their loved ones at various angles.

After fifty years the cemetery had taken on a neglected appearance, and a meeting in 1886 of all interested parties was called to face the situation. All the former trustees had died or moved away, and 5 new ones were appointed in1887. By-laws governing the cemetery were approved at a public meeting. A subscription list was circulated, money raised, Maple trees were planted in 1888 and spruce in 1890, a house was built for a caretaker and in 1893 the roads were graded and graveled.

Steps were taken in 1889 to clarify the title of the property. Since the land had been granted, there had been a disruption in the Established Church, to whom the property was deeded, and later a reunion of the Presbyterian Churches in Canada. So it was that when the trustees wished to dispose of a part of the property, they were in doubt as to what to do with the proceeds and sought the advice of the Presbytery of Guelph. In 1889 an act of the Provincial Legislature made the manner of holding the property clear in the following terms:

“It is enacted that, as soon as two trustees are nominated and appointed by each of the two congregations of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in the Township of Puslinch, shall be held by them and their successors in office, in trust, for the purpose of a burial ground for the use of members and adherents of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in the Township of Puslinch, and other denominations upon such terms as the Presbytery of Guelph of the said church may from time to time determine”

It became the custom to augment the board of four thus fixed, by others chosen by the plot-holders, to form the Board of Managers.

Again in 1929, the unsatisfactory condition of the cemetery awakened a renewed interest, and men and teams were employed to level the plots and generally improve the appearance of the cemetery. Again in 1934, work was commenced on the front part of the cemetery, filling up a depression and cutting away part of the grade.

In 1937 the Centenary Memorial Committee appealed for funds and built the memorial gates at front entrance in honor of the pioneers. The gates were erected only a few feet in front of where the original log church stood.

In the late 1930’s a system of Perpetual Care was initiated. There were many plots where all relatives have died, and there was no one to care for the plot. At this time a plot of ground ten feet by twelve was given care in perpetuity, for the sum forty dollars.

Since 1937, the Crown Cemetery has continued to be well kept. In 1953, five thousand trees were planted and in 1960 an area of 110 feet x 600 feet was purchased from the adjacent farm to the north, the former James Tawse farm, for future burial grounds. In 1981 and 1982 several work bees were held to cut trees and brush and to level an area at the rear of the burial ground. It was seeded in time for the first memorial service held on June 10, 1984 with over 200 people in attendance. Surveying or the plots was completed in 1985.

In January 1985, a motion was made at the Plot Holders’ Annual meeting to proceed with plans for a mausoleum and chapel. On July 31, 1985, the excavation began. On August 2, the mausoleum walls were poured. The work was completed in the spring of 1986.

With the generosity of Plot Holders the Board continues to improve the property, plant trees, point the 1937 stone pillars and replace the wrought iron fence.
Any and all donations are very welcome.